As a yard owner, you must understand that your lawn is a mirror image of your personality. A properly kept lawn with lovely flowers and vegetation doesn’t only reflect your aesthetic but also adds to the beauty of the place.
Our article today covers all that you need to know about your lawn care and lawn maintenance throughout the four seasons.
This Article Will Cover
How To Do Lawn Care In Spring Season?
After a long winter, your lawn is set to turn green again. It is a sensitive time for your lawn though, as the weather is unpredictable and the plants are tender. Here is your lawn care routine for the spring season.
- You must avoid heavy yard work in the spring season. Hard raking and foot traffic can disturb the soggy soil which eventually damages new and tender grass shoots. Wait until the soil dries out.
- The minute the soil is good and dry, give your lawn a good spring cleaning to encourage the growth of the grass. Remove the fallen debris and leaves. Rake the fluff up to separate the grass shoots and decrease the possibility of pests and diseases.
- The type of grass in your yard affects how and when you should fertilize your lawn. Cool-season grasses must not be heavily fertilized during the spring. If your yard is in bad shape, then fertilize it lightly with a balanced, slow-release fertilizer.
- As for warm-season grasses, you can fertilize these in late spring as soon as the lawn greens up.
- Aeration and dethatching must be done during the peak growing season.
- Mow as soon as the lawn needs it and water regularly.
How To Do Lawn Maintenance In The Summer Season?
In summer, you have to take care of your lawn more than in spring, especially if you live in warmer regions. The hotter the weather, the more effort you should exert in keeping the lawn intact.
- Fertilize your lawn 30 days before the hot summer temperature arrives. Use slow-release fertilizer that has a small amount of nitrogen.
- Water at least thrice a week. Your lawn needs about 1 inch of water every week to stay intact during the hot summer.
- Keep children’s swimming pools and plastic water toys off the lawn as these will smother the grass and causes brown spots.
- Mow your grass to the right length. The cool-season grasses must be kept between 1 ½ to 2 inches and the warm-season grasses must be kept to 2 ½ to 3 ½ inches.
- Remove the weeds. Use spot-treatment weed control product that is designed for lawns.
How To Take Care of The Lawn In The Autumn Season?
As the grass grows slower in the autumn season, many yard owners think that this is the time when you can care less. However, this is not true. Autumn has cooler temperatures and occasional rainfall but this is the ideal time to prepare your lawn for the spring.
- You have to continue mowing as needed throughout the autumn season.
- Fall is the ideal time to aerate your lawn so that the oxygen, water, and fertilizer can reach the roots of the grass. Make sure that there are holes in the soil so that you can extract the plugs of dirt.
- It is very important to remove the fallen leaves from the lawn as soon as possible. If you don’t, then the wet leaves can become the breeding ground for fungal disease.
- If there are bald spots, this is the best time to fix them.
How To Do Lawn Maintenance In The Winter Season?
Your garden needs extra care during the winter season as the grass is battling the cold temperature. This season might even put your lawn through extreme conditions so you have to monitor the weather and keep your sidewalks clear.
- Do not leave debris on the lawn. Dry leaves and toys can smother the grass and also invite insects, mice, and other damaging pests.
- It might be freezing but mowing should be done whenever the grass is growing longer than normal. However, do this at noon and when the grass is dry.
- Be aware of weather conditions. It might be worth your while to chip away the little exposed ice in the low spot especially if a winter storm or deep freeze is fast approaching.
- In winter, your lawn maintenance tools also need extra care. As mowing is done after long gaps so make sure that your mower is properly maintained. When not in use, keep the mower rust-free with fog oil.
In last, taking care of your lawn all year round may require an effort but in the end, trust us it will be worth it. With your hard work, your premises will turn into a fine garden that will soothe your eye and refreshen your soul.
What Does Lawn Maintenance Include?
For your ease, we have mentioned the lawn maintenance routine for a whole year. Summoning up, your lawn maintenance includes
- Preparing your lawn
- Seeding it timely
- Watering regularly
- Cleaning properly
- Applying fertilizers and weed killers when needed.
- Keeping all the maintenance tools in check.
Though there are factors like lawn size and your financial capacity that can affect your lawn maintenance routine. Still, if you will keep your lawn care routine consistent, your lawn will turn out fine.
How To Take Care of Your Lawn As A Beginner?
Lawn care for beginners is not a big deal. Though beginners feel the pressure right from when the idea of lawn generates in their mind. With the above simple tips, they can also maintain their yards like pros.
Also, Beginners must do research before going down the lane or any small careless mistake can ruin the hard work of months. Furthermore, with time they will get their fair share of practical experience. There is no substitute for experience. Beginners can apply this experience later on.
In the end, all we have to say is that a good and well-maintained lawn is a candy to the eyes. So you need to do lawn care and lawn maintenance all year round for a healthy, clean, and beautiful yard.